¡Si, se puede!
Our wish list is below and here are the best things you can do to support the children in El Porvenir:
Sponsor our projects! – Visit our sponsor page to learn about a unique opportunity to help us provide breakfast for pre-schoolers at our Kinder or provide activities supplies to our teachers and volunteers. Sponsor your favorite project for $10, $15 or $25 per month. Click HERE to learn more about our sponsor program.
Volunteer in El Porvenir! – We welcome individual volunteers and workgroups from all over the world. Visit our volunteer page to learn about how volunteer energy operates HondurasChildren.
Donate. Even a little goes a long way in Honduras and we sincerely appreciate your help. Click the Donation Button to donate!
Invite a friend, family member or co-worker to visit our website. Your endorsement is our best advertisement!
Luggage List / Wish List
Sometimes we are asked if there are items that volunteers and visitors can bring to donate to the children and the projects. Yes and thank you!! The following is a list of some general items that will fit in your suitcase.
Wish List Alert : Charlie is hoping for a good quality new or used projector that can be used to reinstate “movie nights” for the children and their families. If you can donate a projector, it is possible to have it shipped to someone who will be arriving soon and they can hand-carry to Honduras. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have a projector that you would like to donate!
We need chewable CHILDREN’s MULTI-VITAMINS for the Kinder. We offer a meal or snack and it would be great to be able to provide a multi-vitamin as well. These are an easy donation suggestion if you have friends who want to help!
(please, no toys that require batteries)
- BOOKS, BOOKS and more BOOKS in Spanish
- craft Items – pipe cleaners, glitter, glue stix, etc.
- magic markers
- DVDs in Spanish
- Duplos (large Legos), Lincoln Logs, Bionicles, (building toys) etc.
- magnet toys (big enough not to be choked on)
- dolls and doll clothing
- toy cars, trucks & boats
- toy tools, doctor’s kits, firefighter’s hats, etc.
- WOODEN puzzles w/ BIG pieces
- games (w/ directions in Spanish)
- glow-stix • tattoos • balloons • Frisbees • soccer balls • plastic baseball bats and balls • tennis balls
Please, no toys that require batteries. - – Also, while we understand that you might like to give a gift to every child, it really makes more sense to choose something for the group (i.e. to keep at Kinder) that can be used over and over again.
A popular idea is “building toys.” Items like like Duplos (larger version of Legos) and Lincoln Logs are gender neutral and can be played with over and over again. Puppets are fun for all ages! A doll house with lots of dolls would be great! The best part is that future donors can add to the “collection!”
One last thing about toys – - we do not have much storage. There’s plenty of room but not many good shelves or plastic bins to put things in. It’s great if you also bring something to store the toys IN so that they can be put away properly. (Psssst – We’d love a donation of sturdy metal shelving – about $100 - and it can be purchased in La Ceiba!)
Note – Children’s Day is in September – - we always need small toys to put in a “goodie bag” type of gift! Please look for sturdy items that will not break right away.
We appreciate new and used children’s clothing in all sizes. We are a small volunteer organization so we do not have the capability to sort and discard clothing that is stained or damaged. Please only bring clothing in new or ‘like new’ condition.
The Honduran school uniform is a white shirt with either a blue skirt or blue pants. The children also need white socks and black shoes for school. In addition, shorts, t-shirts, tank-tops and skirts are very helpful. We ALWAYS need UNDERWEAR and the children would appreciate light-weight rain shells. New Flip Flops are always a treat!
- children’s books in Spanish
- ESL books for learning English (multiple copies of the same book)
- black, school shoes and white socks (boys/girls all sizes)
- white, short-sleeve, button down shirts for school (boy/girl all sizes
- navy blue, school skirts and pants
- CD’s, DVD’s & Videos in Spanish
- Portable DVD players and MP3 players
- art & craft materials (paint & paintbrushes, yarn, knitting
needles, glue guns, felt, pipe cleaners, markers, scissors, etc.)
- pencils and pens
- math manipulatives and calculators
- Spanish / English dictionaries (can purchase at Dollar Store)
- good quality scissors (we have lots of dull plastic ones!)
- kitchenware (good quality – all kinds) – dishes, flatware, pots, etc.
- plastic spoons (we serve breakfast at the kinder and the spoons are for cereal)
- PAPER plates (not plastic or styrofoam)
- children’s chewable vitamins (only in-date and unopened)
- lice shampoo
- baby wipes
- kitchen size trash bags
- large paper lawn and leaf bags
- pillow cases
- twin bed sheet sets
- light weight blankets
- shower curtains & rings
- small tool sets
- flashlights (good quality – - rechargeable is great!)
- hand soap • shampoo • toothpaste • toothbrushes • hairbrushes